There are a number of things you can do every day to protect your hard-earned smile and support your oral health. While Dr. James Stanford and our team are here to support all of your oral care needs, your daily habits and lifestyle will greatly impact the strength of your smile. Healthy teeth and gums are created and maintained through daily effort!
Let’s look at some ways you can take a proactive role in your smile health:
– By now you have seen how much your teeth benefit from daily cleaning. Using a soft-bristled brush to protect tooth enamel and gum tissue, spend at least two minutes brushing your pearly whites after you eat or twice a day, minimum. We recommend using fluoride toothpaste because it remineralizes your enamel and keeps it strong!
– Floss daily, preferably before bedtime. Use whatever method works best for you, so long as you do it! There are a multitude of flossing tools on the market, such as waxed floss, interdental brushes and piks, and even water flossers. The key is to find something you enjoy so that it becomes a habit. Flossing is essential for reaching those places where your toothbrush simply can’t.
– Nutrition plays a vital role in your oral health, as you can imagine. Building strong teeth and gums with fresh, crisp vegetables and fruits, mineral-rich cheese and nuts, along with healthy proteins will go a long way in keeping your body and smile strong.
– Be aware of the side effects from medications you might be taking. A common side effect of medications is dry mouth, which reduces healthy saliva production. Saliva is an important component of a healthy mouth, as it washes away harmful bacteria and keeps a healthy ph balance in the mouth. To stimulate saliva production, hydrate well and consider chewing sugar-free gum or mints and limit smoking, alcohol and even alcohol-containing mouth rinses, as they are all drying.
– If you are active in sports that may subject you to contact, injury or trauma, be sure to protect your smile with a mouthguard. This will help to prevent loss of teeth, tooth fractures, and even jaw misalignment, not to mention cuts in oral tissues such as the lips and cheeks. You can find mouthguards at most sporting goods stores.
As you take the time to protect your healthy smile in Ballwin, Missouri, you will be rewarded with a healthy, confident smile. Our Stanford Dental team is here to support your oral health with bi-annual cleanings and exams and a variety of other services. We invite you to give us a call today at 636-256-3559 if you have any questions or concerns or to schedule an appointment with Dr. James Stanford. We look forward to serving you!